Vernal Hanging Parrot (Loriculus vernalis)
The Vernal Hanging Parrot (Loriculus vernalis) is a small parrot with a very short tail. The size is around 12-14cm only. It is a local bird mainly resident in North East India and Western ghats in india.
The male would be sporting an excellent red colored beak and a red rump (as seen in few photographs below) with a nice blue colored thorat patch.
They normally would be feeding on small fruits and also deep themselves in nectar of flowers.
Parrots are one of the few birds which we get introduced to in our childhood. We also had a few pet parrots as pets at home and would try teaching them few words to speak.
Looking back I feel bad for these beautiful birds which are mostly in demand in the pet trade and people keep them at home in cages.
If you liked and appreciate this beautiful birdie through below photographs, please say NO to pet parrots or any other birds. Thanks!!
Location: Hotel Monarch (Mithun hotels), Masinagudi, Mudumalai tiger Reserve, Tamilnadu.
Equipment: Canon 7D, Canon 300mm, 1.4TC, Tripod.
1. A green coloured bird in green surroundings. Did you find me well?
2. Once landed on a tree, they normally do a ramp walk to roam around the tree occasionally using beaks to hold onto while changing branches.
3. A branch walk to go to the desired mango or a place to roost.
4. The parrot is famous for hanging upside down while roosting. Its not roosting here but you get an idea ;-)
5. The beak is used like a cutter and seen here buried deep inside the mango.
6. The red rump seen here is a male's exclusive wear. Red on Green, can you dare to wear and carry that this well?
7. Mango, ummm, who won't love to savour them?
8. A mango which fell down was being shared by a juvenile red vented bulbul and this parrot.
9. This is a very small but a beautiful bird, won't you agree now?
10. One was hanging and trying to talk while the other one is not interested to speak, it seems.
11. The couple was trying to steal a kiss behind the branch. Look at the closed eye while kissing ;-)
12. Fun chasing each other from the favourite perches/fruits.
13. The meditation in deep sleep.
14. "We are beautiful birds but please don't cage us as pets". I heard it saying, I swear.
Do not forget to write about how you liked them below. Thanks for the time spent here.